Business Leasing
Driver Services

Going Abroad

If you intend to travel outside of the UK (which includes travel to the Republic of Ireland) using your Day’s Fleet lease or Flexi Hire vehicle, you will require a ‘Vehicle On Hire’ (VE103) certificate.   

All UK motorists travelling abroad in a vehicle must carry the original Vehicle Registration Document (V5C).

If your vehicle is leased from Day’s Fleet, we will likely hold the V5C, meaning that you will instead need a Vehicle on Hire Certificate (VE103), which is the recognised alternative to the V5C document.

Vehicles travelling outside the UK without a V5C or VE103 certificate are at risk of being seized and impounded. In such event, you would be liable for the costs of recovering the vehicle and repatriating it to the UK.

  • You must ensure that your employer and insurance company have authorised for the vehicle to be taken outside of the UK prior to requesting the VE103 Certificate. 
  • You should apply for your VE103 at least 10 – 14 working days before you travel; as we are unable to guarantee delivery timescales through Royal Mail we recommend you select ‘Special Delivery’ when you request the document.
  • It is valid for 12 months from the date of issue and will cover you for all your foreign travel within that 12 month period.   It also covers you whilst proceeding to, and returning from, the port of embarkation.   
  • The address used for the VE103 must legally be the driver’s home address and must match the address on their driving licence.
  • It is important to make sure that you have all of the compulsory or recommended equipment required for the countries you intend to visit in your vehicle. Travel Packs and other travel and vehicle accessories can be purchased at our online store.
  • Due to the ongoing conflict, we may not permit use of our vehicles in countries which border the Ukraine.  If you need to travel to any of the following countries, you should contact us at [email protected] prior to applying for your VE103 certificate: Ukraine, Moldova, Belarus, Poland, Slovakia, Romania, Hungary. 
  • If you are planning on travelling to France you may need a Clean Air Sticker.  For more information on how to purchase a sticker, please visit the the Crit’Air website.

We recommend you familiarise yourself with the respective requirements of the countries which you will be travelling to and also by reading the following resources: 

GOV.UK – Driving Abroad

BVRLA – Taking a Vehicle Abroad

AA Fleet Europe Driver’s Guide