DVLA issues warning to drivers planning summer getaway

Submit your Mileage
Posted Posted on Categories Company Cars

The DVLA has warned motorists not to take their vehicle abroad without their V5C logbook, while drivers of leased or hired vehicles will require a vehicle on hire certificate (VE103) from their rental or leasing provider.

All UK motorists travelling abroad in a vehicle must carry the original Vehicle Registration Document (V5). If your vehicle is leased from Days Fleet we hold the V5 at our head office, meaning that you need a Vehicle on Hire Certificate (VE103), which is the recognised alternative to the V5 document.

On average 4.1 million British drivers travel to Europe each year and with the popularity of personal leasing in the UK, BVRLA’s Director of Member Services, Nora Leggett says: “We believe thousands of motorists could inadvertently flout European legislation when driving across the Channel this year by travelling without the correct documentation.

“We ask that drivers who lease or rent their car notify their rental or leasing company now before the summer holiday peak so that the VE103 certificate can be processed and sent in plenty of time to avoid the prospect of stiff financial penalties, delay and upset to holiday plans”.

Please request your VE103 at least 7 working days before you travel by visiting our Going Abroad page.